Friday, August 3

Antique Pen & Ink Blotter, Glass Pens etc...


When folks share, "They don't make it like they use to..."
It is true with many art tools.
I'm very thankful for acid free papers and the longevity they promise~
Museum glass that protects valuable art and prints~
I'm thankful they left the minerals in paints... I promise not to eat mine.


I love hand-worked.
As much as I try to jump into the interesting & exciting tech world~
My heart returns to simple.


A young student looked at me and asked~
"Aren't you afraid of being left behind?"
Nope.
I love what I do.
Everyday I strive to improve my unique skills~
Try to share a little more of my heart in my work~


Heart.
Unique.


There are many artists in the world...
I admire the ones that search their own hearts and render unique.


These little glass gems are fun!
Metal tips have their own look~
When you find the perfect angle, point side etc.~ these pens dance!


Looking through antique/vintage ephemera can be daunting & dusty.
The finds are rewarding!


Old lesson pages are great tools!


Perhaps flourishes and scrolling were the Zentangle of our past?
I love watching people sketch, doodle, zentangle, pattern etc.

One of the most important things I try to teach my students...
Loosen up.
Let go of your wrist~
Let your hand move with your mind.

Hope your weekend is filled with creative!

9 comments:

village folk art said...

Hi Michelle,
This is an awesome inspiring post... as is your artwork of which I have several. Thanks so much for sharing these tidbits. I truly enjoy them as they are warmly appreciated.
As always, 'Peace be with you'.
Barb

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Gorgeous, Michelle... I love the antique pen and ink blogger and the pens.... They bring back so many great memories... Thanks so much for using your talents to make these.
Hugs,
Betsy

Barbra Joan said...

I too love the vintage...
collecting old art supplies, dented paint boxes just lifts my spirits.
My only disappontment has been in a new glass pen.. I couldn't find an old one, decided to send for a new one..
Maybe they just don't 'make 'em like they used to " BJ

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Wonderful post Michelle!
I collect old glass ink wells ~ but haven't seen any glass pens. There beautiful ~ I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
Thanks so much for sharing!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Smiley said...

Aaaaah, to be a student of Michelle Palmer! As my daughter would say . . . "that's epic". Love your lust for the vintage!

Blessings and smiles,
Deb oxo

BECKY said...

Wow Michelle, I would love to be one of your students for a little while!
And, of course, I adore this post, and the wonderful tidbits of advice that you tucked in it!
Hugs,
Becky

Acornmoon said...

Lovely post Michelle, you do unearth some treasures!

Tammy said...

I'm so glad to see that you bring the past along with you in your beautiful artwork. Your students are so very fortunate. I don't know how the digital world can ever replace a gift such as yours. Truly so lovely. I gave my boss a fountain pen along with a pack of pure cotton paper from my husband's company and he was in heaven. He still prefers to handwrite thank you notes and such and now he can do it "old style". :) Best wishes to you, Tammy

shabby girl said...

Beautiful, Michelle. You're right. Do what makes your heart sing.
Hubby is a doodler. Mostly when he's on the phone. But what comes out of his head is amazing!